Thursday, May 14, 2009

Spider Woman's Hands 2007 - 2009


In 2007 it was my privilege to have a fellowship at the Alden Dow Creativity Center at Northwood University in Michigan, to develop "Hands of the Spider Woman" - a community arts project exploring the Native American creation story of the Spider Woman. I offer my gratitude as well to my collaborator Kathy Space, and the many people in the community of Midland who participated.

When the Icons each participant created were exhibited, all were united with a "thread" that wove between them, and beyond the exhibit; Spider Woman's thread, and our hands, weaving together.

Community Wall, Midland Arts Center  
"Tse Che Nako, Thought-Woman Spinning the World into Being" (2007)
I also want to thank the Puffin Foundation for further support and the Midland Center for the Arts for our exhibit.

In 2008 the project continued at the Creative Spirit Center, also in Michigan. In 2009, I continued exploring the theme as a resident artist at the Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, D.C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment